Monday, May 18, 2009

Getting Back to Bassics


I had the privilege of attending a bass clinic given by Victor Wooten last weekend at Bass Central in Orlando.  Together with bass player Anthony Wellington, he gave me a whole new perspective on what bass playing . . . no, what being a musician . . . is all about.  The discussion centered on the fact that most players concentrate on notes--are "addicted to notes," as he put it.  He pointed out that notes are just one of many factors that are involved in playing music, and that most instructional materials and techniques ignore many other important elements: space, listening, tone, articulation, groove, etc.  As one who struggles with theory, but loves to play, it was mind-opening and validating.

Following the workshop, I made a point of purchasing his book, The Music Lesson, A Spiritual Search for Growth through Music.  Set in the form of a fable, it covers many of the points he emphasized in the workshop, and explains them in an entertaining and memorable fashion. For me, this book is a keeper.  It's going on my shelf of favorite books, right next to Zen Guitar, to be read and reread when inspiration flags.  

I will never play bass the way Victor Wooten does. My abilities are different.  My background is different.  My choices are different.  If music is a language, my voice is different.  But I think what brings me to the music is not so very different at all.   And I'm grateful to have had the chance for this "music lesson" from a teacher who has something truly fresh to say to all of us who love Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment